SENIOR MANAGER – Job Description
Southampton Wood Recycling Project is a social enterprise founded in 2012. Our aims are to develop people to be ready to enter sustainable employment, while providing affordable timber and resources to the local community, and saving wood waste from going to landfill.
We strive to be an exemplary social enterprise with regard to policy and practice, and believe that working with wood offers a range of benefits, both in practical skills and in a wider therapeutic sense.
Our business activity is based around collecting waste wood mostly from the construction sector. The wood is then sorted and as much as possible is separated for reuse; being sold back to the public for DIY, made into products in our workshop, sold as firewood or passed on for use in power generation.
SWRP has been through a period of change and development; is financially stable; and it has a high profile and great reputation, with a hard-working, committed and highly talented workforce of 7 (4.5FTE).
The Company Director wishes to broaden the managerial role, so there is a vacancy for a hands-on Senior Manager to lead the enterprise on a day to day basis and help take this pioneering and locally significant organisation to the next level.
Purpose of the post:
The primary purpose of this new full time post is to lead the company managerially and financially on a day to day basis according to our mission statement and business plan, while assisting the Company Director with the broader oversight of the business.
Responsible to: Managing Director
Responsible for the management of:
Workshop Manager; H&S Manager; Collection Manager; Volunteer Manager; accounts clerk; collections team; volunteers
Location: We are currently based in Woolston, Southampton.
Hours: 5 days per week (including Saturday working on a rota required with time off in lieu).
Probationary period: 6 months
Salary: by negotiation
Reply to: Please send CV along with covering statement (no more than two sides of A4) detailing your reasons for applying, what you can bring to the post and how you meet its requirements to email@example.com, by 15th January 2018.
Further Information: Do contact Andrew Challis by email (as above) or on 0771 889 3689 if you would like to discuss the position further.
SENIOR MANAGER – Main duties and responsibilities
To take overall responsibility for:
- Day to day retail/collections sales performance;
- Administrative functions;
- Financial efficiency;
- Health & Safety policies and procedures (with the support of our Health & Safety Manager);
- Day to day Staff management and staffing policy development;
- Compliance with all financial, legal, statutory and contractual requirements;
- Monitor and review the financial management of the company;
- Ensure that financial targets are met;
- Produce regular simple financial reports for the staff and board;
- Ensure compliance with financial legal obligations (e.g. VAT and end of year accounting);
- Monitor and revise annual budgets in association with the Management Board;
- Lead the efficient administration of all business aspects, assuring the smooth running of the collections, retail, workshop and marketing functions;
- Ensure the efficient running of the Project’s IT/telecoms’ and other systems;
- Improve administrative procedures as necessary.
- Line manage Workshop Manager; Collection Manager; H&S Manager; Volunteer Manager; Collection Staff; etc
- Ensure regular staff meetings are held;
- Hold staff appraisals and informal reviews regularly and in the appropriate manner;
- Ensure regular training opportunities are identified and offered to all staff and volunteers.
Strategic development (in conjunction with the Management Board)
- Maintain a strategic overview of activity and ensure that it is sustainable;
- Support the development and delivery of the Business Plan;
- Identify and develop appropriate new opportunities.
- To contribute to and support the development and implementation of the marketing and promotion strategy with the Marketing and communications officer;
- To visit clients (especially existing/potential collection customers) as required;
- To be available for any interviews for case studies and articles that are offered.
- Ensure adequate insurance cover is held;
- Ensure that H&S procedures and policies are robust;
- Ensure compliance with VAT, HMRC and Companies House requirements;
- Ensure compliance with all employment and Data Protection Act requirements;
- Ensure compliance with environmental legislation.
SENIOR MANAGER – Person Specification
- An excellent communicator
- At least 5 years’ experience of leading and managing staff in a managerial capacity
- Retail experience and a good understanding of retail best practice
- Experience of financial management and budgeting
- Sound understanding of Health and Safety issues and commitment to best practice
- Computer literacy – including Microsoft Office software and CRM packages
- Experience of HR
- Ability to work quickly and accurately, with an eye for detail
- Good negotiator and capable of thinking and responding flexibly and consistently
- A motivated self-starter, capable of both working in a team and alone
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to set and meet deadlines
- Ability to listen well and empathise with a wide range of people
- Commitment to our environmental aims and to social justice
- Commitment to Equal Opportunities
- Full, clean driving license
- Basic DIY Skills
- Experience of business to business sales preferably in the construction sector
- Enhanced DIY skills and some wood working skills/power tool experience
- Understanding of marketing approaches and strategies
Disposition and Attitudes
- Hard worker
- “People person”
- Experienced leader
- Good sense of humour
- Problem solver
- Good negotiator
- Tactful and diplomatic